Principal Cryogenics Engineer
Abingdon Rd, Culham, UK
Salary: £63,856 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension
Site Location: UKAEA Culham, Oxfordshire
Confirmed Grade: Level 6
Department: Heating and Fuelling
By 2050, the planet could be using twice as much electricity compared to today. Are you interested in contributing and helping to shape the future of the world’s energy? If so, read on.
Fusion, the process that powers the Sun and Stars, is one of the most promising options for generating the cleaner, carbon-free energy that our world badly needs.
UKAEA leads the way in realizing fusion energy, partnering with industry and research for ground-breaking advancements. Our goal is to bring fusion electricity to the grid, supported by tomorrow's power stations. In pursuit of our mission, UKAEA embraces core values: Innovative, Committed, Trusted, and Collaborative."
As an employee of UKAEA you will benefit from:
- Outstanding defined benefit pension scheme, details of which can be found at the end of this advert.
- Corporate bonus scheme up to 7 % and a Relocation allowance (if eligible).
- Flexible working options including family friendly policies.
- Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders.
- Emergency paid leave, Generous annual leave allowance (30.5 days) increased with length of service.
- Wide range of career development opportunities.
- A vibrant culture committed to being fully inclusive.
This role requires employees to complete an online Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS), including The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks for criminal convictions.
UKAEA oversees key fusion programmes, like MAST-U and STEP, striving for sustainable fusion to reap scientific and economic benefits, with a goal of grid-ready fusion power by 2040. As Principal Cryogenics Engineer, you will play a pivotal role in providing technical leadership within the STEP programme, making crucial decisions in specialised areas such as superconducting magnets, cryo-pumping, plasma fuelling, and material testing requirements.
In your role , you will:
- Establish the work scope plan for the cryogenic system and secure commitments from cross-functional teams to execute it.
- Take the lead in developing cryoplant requirements, heat and mass balances and process diagrams, working with industrial partners, as necessary.
- Oversee teams of multi-disciplinary engineers, providing expert advice and direction.
- Ensure the creation of comprehensive documentation, including technical notes and reports, and prepare papers for journals, conferences, and presentations at external seminars and conferences.
- Degree or equivalent in Cryogenic, Mechanical, Process Engineering or equivalent STEM subject.
- Member of a professional organisation with chartered status or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrable experience of providing leadership in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Extensive broad and deep knowledge and experience in cryogenics either within a laboratory or an industrial setting
- Proven capability in engineering analysis and a good working knowledge of engineering materials and their properties.
A full list of our benefits can be found here https://careers.ukaea.uk/life-at-ukaea/employee-benefits/
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, people with disabilities, and women. Our Executive team, supported by our 'Equality, Diversity and Inclusion' (EDI) Partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, actively promotes EDI and takes steps to increase diversity within our organization. We reinforce best practices in recruitment and selection and evaluate approaches to remove barriers to success.
Please note that vacancies are generally advertised for 4 weeks but may close earlier if we receive a large number of applications.
For applicants applying from outside the United Kingdom or those who have spent time outside the UK in the last five years, please visit the following link for information on criminal records checks: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/criminal-records-checks-for-o... your country of residence or previous residence is not listed on the website or if the UK Government does not have information on obtaining a criminal records check from that state, we regret to inform you that we cannot process your application.
For job location details and to register interest go to https://jobs.smartrecruiters.com/UKAtomicEnergyAuthority/743999943703940-principal-cryogenics-engineer and scroll down.